Alvaston Park Lake
Alvaston Park Lake


It existed well before 1086 when the Domesday Book was published. A church was in place in Saxon times as the discovery of a Saxon coffin lid embedded in the medieval church building proved. It remained a small village until the end of the 19th century when it started to expand.


Located on the south side of Derby, vehicle access to the car park is via Meadow Lane, off the A6. Half a mile towards Alvaston from the Pride Park/Ascot Drive roundabout. The Alvaston bus from the city centre stops outside the pedestrian entrance to the park.


The park’s most prominent feature is its lake, which provides a home for a large number of swans and other wildlife. Both native and exotic trees are to be found in the park.

The park backs onto the River Derwent, where a riverside path/cycle route links both Derby City Centre in one direction and Elvaston Country Park in the other. Another route, along the filled-in Derby Canal, goes to Chellaston, Swarkestone, Melbourne and onto Leicestershire.


In 1910, William Curzon of Breedon Hall gave 30 acres of land for the use of local people. William Barron and Son of Borrowash laid out the park, which was opened to the public in 1913.

In 1923 a five-acre lake was constructed. After the Second World War, 61.8 acres of land to the south were added as sports playing fields.

Wilmorton College, which later became known as Derby College, was built on a former tip in the 1960s. The land situated to the west of the park used to belong to Osmaston Hall. Home to the Fox and Wilmot-Horton family from which the college got its name. 

Today, modern housing has been erected on the former college site. The properties provide easy access to Pride Park and the city centre.